Frequently Asked Questions about Pop Up Art Carts
What is a “Pop Up Art Cart”? Art Carts are handmade, easily-transportable carts built by local artists and hosted by the Art Lab of Fort Collins in Old Town Square on selected dates each year. Carts are self-managed and self run, like little mini businesses, but often work well in similar groups.
How do I get involved? Fill out an application online. Once your app is approved you will receive an email from the Art Lab Coordinator . From there, it’s up to you! Get started building a cart, creating and pricing inventory and then sign up for your Time Slot on our SignUp Genius.
You can also come to one of our monthly meetups:
Next Meetup? Saturday, June 17th, 2017
Where? The Art Lab – 239 Linden St. Fort Collins, CO
(Off Old Town Plaza)
How do I select the dates and times I go out to the Square? We have a SignUp Genius for that! Dates for cartists are released 2 months in advance. Simply enter your Cart/Business name and your contact information, select a spot, and you’re good to go! You just have to show up in the Square sometime during that time frame and you’re set to sell!
What if I need to change my time slot? Login in to the SignUp Genius as you did before and edit your time slot if you cannot make a day or have any last minute changes, this notifies others in the group that the spot is open, so we can make sure we can accommodate everyone!
Where can I park my cart in the Square? Maps approved by the DDA (Downtown Development Authority) are being created with carts’ spots labelled, and will be available for download soon.
Can I bring my family! Yes! The more the merrier! There are often kids playing in the Square weekends, other events, lots to do and it always helps to have an extra set of hands.
Where can I put my cart in the Square? Please see the map below. Areas marked in Red are walkways or Fire Hazards and carts may not be present in them. Areas marked in green are fine for carts, these may change throughout the season due to adjacent events. The area in yellow is reserved during special events (dates to be released) and carts may not be in those areas, but may park around them during concerts in the Square. Theses dates are primarily Thursday nights and Saturdays, when there are concerts on the Stage. You may click and download this map for your records!
Day of things to keep in mind: Tips & Tricks from the Cartists themselves!
- Unload carts in Trimble Alley – Much easier!
- Bring Some Cash – Sales tend to be about half and half cash to credit card, and you’ll want to have change!
- Think about including tax in cash sales so you don’t carry change.
- Price things so people know a range – you don’t have to price everything, but folks need an understanding of what things will cost.
- Square payment app works with cell service if you don’t have wifi. And there is an option for “Offline Payments”. Also make sure to add sales tax when you set up your Square Account! Most Cartists use this method.
- Get the Square Reader that swipes chips or you will pay extra for chip cards.
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, a chair, water bottles- It’s warm and sunny out in beautiful Fort Collins most days, so be prepared!
- Cinderblock and zip ties, as well as a screwdriver, have been found to be handy in the Square for windy days!
PLEASE READ-TAX INFO: You DO have to submit taxes on your sales in the Square for each date, or monthly reporting or you can be fined by the city!
- Submit your sales tax monthly, quarterly or yearly dependent on your volume. You DO have to submit a Zero return or you will get fined.
- You need to have a City and State sales tax forms to sell. County is included in the state.
- You can do a temporary City sales tax form if you aren’t ready to commit to a full business license. Available at links above.
– For a full list of Larimer County Sales Tax forms and rules, see here: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/tax/sales-tax-instructions-and-forms
- Please submit your PUAC Sales Report every time, please! This way we can keep track of and make improvements to our sales strategies.
- May 26, 2017 8:00 pmh20 by Jane Martin - OpenStage Theatre etcetera Performance
- May 27, 2017 8:00 pmh20 by Jane Martin - OpenStage Theatre etcetera Performance
- May 28, 2017 11:00 amPop Up Art Carts
- May 29, 20177:30 Free Fort Collins Yoga